Thursday, January 6, 2011

Turkey and Cheese Quesadillas


Ok, These were so good, we had the same meal 2 days in a row!!

Yesterday I was trying to think of something to go with my Cooker's Cheese Potato soup recipe, but nothing was jumping out at me. This weeks meal plan had included a turkey and 2 more meals to be made out of the leftovers: Turkey stew (Yummm!) and Asian turkey sandwiches (also very, very yummy!) Also on the menu for the week was Chicken Quesadillas. So yesterday I'm coming up blank when it hit me, why not switch out the chicken for turkey in the quesadillas and have those on the side?
So. armed with a plan I set out to make dinner, and it was a total hit with the entire family, which is a real bonus because it gives one more way to make the turkey stretch!

So I decided that while I was making a fresh batch of quesadillas for the family tonight, I would take pictures and share how I made them!
So to start you will need these items:
Left over turkey, picked off carcass and shredded.
Burrito shells (the wheat ones are extremely good too!)
Shredded cheese, I like the reduced fat fiesta blend, but you can use your favorite!
Taco seasoning
water
Foil
Skillet and cookie sheet.
Toss your shredded turkey into a large skillet, and add water. I don't generally measure these things out, but you want it to only cover the bottom half of your turkey. warm the water up over medium heat.When water is heated, add your taco seasoning. Once again I don't use exact measurements, but I used an overlarge skillet and 1/3-1/2 cup of seasoning. If you aren't comfortable eyeballing it, just follow the manufacturers directions for the amount of meat you have in the skillet.Mix well, making sure to spread the seasoning through all of the water. If you are using the manufacturers directions, I suggest mixing the seasoning and water *before* you add it to the meat. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens. While the meat simmers, preheat the oven to 350 and start prepping your shells.On a clean surface, cut a piece of foil in a square slightly larger than your shell, Place a shell in the center and repeat, stacking each foil/shell combo directly on top of the next.When all of your shells are set on their foil, and the meat is ready, you will start construction of your quesadillas.Starting with your cheese, spread a small handfull over 1 half of the shell.Top off with the meat mixture.Fold the other half of shell over the filling.Fold foil over and wrap. repeat until all are wrapped.
Lay on cookie sheet like so, and heat for 10 minutes in the oven. Unwrap, cut down the middle (I use a pizza cutter) and enjoy!
Yum!

No comments: