Saturday, December 7, 2013

An oldie, but goodie, Junky snowman ornament tutorial

I posted this 2 years ago, but thought it was time to share it again, just in time to adorn your Christmas tree!


Haaaaaapy Birthday!!



No..It's not my birthday, nor is it my blog's birthday, but when I finished these cute ornaments I immediately thought of good Ole Frosty the Snowman, and the first words he utters when he comes to life.
I'm going to tell you how you can make your very own!
For those of you who don't know me, one of my favorite places, (besides Thrift Stores, Antique malls and craft stores lol) is the hardware store. Now normally, you'll find me shopping at Home Depot, BUT Here lately I've discovered that the Menards 20 minutes away actually has about 3 times the selection (*Gasp* I know, Right?) and is actually quite a bit cheaper (Sorry HD...I still love you though!!)  So while Hubby and I were out for a rare date night (Endless Shrimp anyone?!?!) we popped into the Lancaster menards to look for smaller packs of peg board hooks (which they had..Menards 1 - HD 0) and some lazy susan hardware at a reasonable price (Menards 2 - HD 0) and while standing there looking at their unbelievable selection of hex nuts (once again, menards scores..3-0, menards' game) I was inspired. I just happened to see them in my head, Hardware snowmen! and you really can't beat the prices! I got enough hex nuts to make 6 snowmen and it was a whopping $4.42..including tax. Except the wire, I had that already, and it was purchased at Home Depot.

So here's your Shopping list:


24 gauge wire
E600
snowman body:
5/8 hex nuts
1/2 hex nuts
3/8 hex nuts
Hat
1/4 flat washer
2 1/4 hex nut OR 1 1/4 hex and 1/4 hex cap

Extra 1/4 hex nuts or beads/bells


1:  set a 5/8 hex nut on your working surface.

2: spread some E600 on one side of the 1/2 hex, place it, glue side down, onto the 5/8 hex.

3. repeat for the 3/8 hex.

4. on wrong side of the flat washer put some E600, place it onto the 3/8 hex

                                     
5. repeat for 1/4 hex

6. repeat for second 1/4 hex or hex cap.

7. set aside to dry

8. While snomen are drying, cut your wire into 5-6" pieces. Bend in half

9. half way down from the loop you formed in step 8, tie the wire into a loose knot. this can be done, it just takes a minute to work it into the right shape.

10. Slide your hex/bead/bell on 1 strand of wire. twist both strands together locking the bead onto the wire.

11. wrap extra wire up and around the top of the bead, this will be hidden between the snowman's hat and the bead.

12: thread the flattened loop throught the hex nuts and out the top of the snowman's hat. spread wire loop for hanging. and Voila! A hex nut snowman!

If you make one, please let me know, I would love to see them!

I party with Remodelaholic

4 comments:

Debi at Life Currents said...

Love this! I actually thought they were wedding cakes at first. I love that idea as well. Thanks for sharing them! I've pinned them as well. :)

Julie Cantrell said...

Super cute! Hope you don't mind me sharing this on www.juliecantrell.com I'll be sure to credit you, link to you, and send folks your way. Great blog!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What a cute idea!! thanks for showing us! Thank you sooo much for entering my giveaway, and posting about it! good luck!

Carol

Gracie's Cottage said...

Such a great idea! (E6000 is my best friend). Love 'em.

Jan