Thursday, September 27, 2012

Halloween porch..


So I'm slowly making progress in downsizing the amount of stuff we have in our home, and I just have to say that it feels wonderful. It's making a huge difference in how I approach just about everything, and now I  actually feel like decorating and fluffing and fussing.


This past week I started getting my house dressed for Halloween.
I plan to add a bit to it, but since I've not made the additions yet I thought I'd share my progress thus far.

I'm a bit shamed to say that most of what you see is store bought, in fact, the only part I actually made so far is my ribbon wreath, which turned out a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e., IMO anyhow.

I will be back with more soon!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

A new look for Jan

Today I thought I would share a little project I whipped up last night as part of my new-old sewing room makeover,

I didn't use a pattern or tutorial for it, although I have seen these type of covers many times in blogland.

I started with a line drawing of a dress form, which you can find here. You can use a transfer pencil, or do as I did and just lay the drawing under my white fabric and trace it. Then, using 3 strands of embroidery floss for the form, and 2 strands for the stand, I used a simple backstitch to stitch out the drawing.

After the embroidery piece was finished I just cut and added fabric pieces in a log cabin style manor until I had a large enough block for the front of my cover. For the back of the cover, I pieced together some large scraps. After sewing both sides of the cover together, I pressed and pinned it to my batting. Since I didn't plan to use a binding, I quilted the top of the cover to the batting only.


I added some ties and a pretty backing. Sewed them together right sides facing, leaving a hole for turning. Clipped my corners, turned and top stitched around the entire outside edge, closing the hole with the top stitching.

Tied it on, and just that easy, Jan has a new reversible cover for when she's not in use!

Stay tuned for more projects as I work on redoing my sewing room!



Linking up to these parties!
Handmade 52
                                Craftastic Monday